If you watch my Instagram stories you are probably aware that i enjoy cooking and I am not a huge fan of sticking to recipes. I like to get creative in my kitchen. More than anything i hate wasting food and love a good heated up leftover lunch!
It brings me huge satisfaction to look in my pantry and be able to whip together a meal with the ingredients i have on hand vs sticking to a recipe and buying every single ingredient on that list. Substitute what you can for what you have on hand.
We have recently made a decision to follow a plant based diet and after posting this winner of a dinner on my Instagram story i have had some requests for the recipe. This is a great easy weeknight dinner and has no wheat, dairy or meat. It really is so simple and i am ALL about that.
Creamy Vegan Tomato Pasta Recipe
1 Packet/250g of brown rice pasta (or any pasta you would like)
Any vegetables and herbs you have on hand i used onion, mushrooms, dried parsley, chilli flakes, dried oregano
1 Jar of Pasta Sauce i used Five Brothers Garlic Pasta Sauce (3/4 of the jar add more if necessary)
1 – 2 cups of cashew nuts *
1/3 cup water
2 garlic cloves
- Put cashew nuts, garlic and some of the water into a blender and blend slowly. You may need to add more water. This will make a thick cashew paste.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions
- Cook vegetables in a little oil until onion is transparent
- Add the pasta sauce to the vegetables, mix and heat the sauce
- Turn heat to very low and add cashew paste to the sauce, this will give you a creamy consistency
- Add in the cooked pasta
- Garnish with a little chopped parsley
Note * you can soak the cashews overnight and drain them in the morning to create an even creamier texture.
I served this with a big green salad, just use any greens you have on hand and throw on a delicious salad topping you like.
That’s it, seriously that simple! I hope you enjoy and let me know if you give this a try.